Easy start running plan – Run for 30 minutes in just 10 weeks
April 30, 2019
This is the running plan I used after giving up smoking. Although it looks easy I found that I was getting breathless quite quickly. The trick is to start slowly, stick to the plan and keep at it. If you have a break don’t give up, just go back a stage or two and you’ll soon recover.
It can be tempting to reduce the walk recovery period, but this just makes it harder and more likely you’ll be too tired to continue! The important part of this plan is to take it slowly and carefully to minimize the risk of injury. Since your just starting to run, muscles, ligaments and the cardiovascular system are unused the sorts of demands being placed on them and they take time to adjust, recover and strengthen. Don’t push too hard to soon. That doesn’t mean stopping because your a bit breathless or its hard work, just be sensible and don’t rush.
Unfortunately I made all of the above mistakes such as skipping stages, cutting back the recovery period, giving up and then resuming at the same level. I managed to pick up some injuries, take a hard fall and lose motivation as a result, but am getting better at being sensible now.
The following running plan uses a one and two day break period. For example run Monday, Wednesday and Saturday. Rest on Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Sunday when a gentle walk can often be beneficial although remember these are rest days. If any week is particularly tiring, just repeat it the following week instead of pushing to step up to the next stage.
- Week 1: Run 2 minutes, walk 4 minutes. Repeat 5 times
- Week 2: Run 3 minutes, walk 3 minutes. Repeat 5 times
- Week 3: Run 5 minutes, walk 2.5 minutes. Repeat 4 times
- Week 4: Run 7 minutes, walk 3 minutes. Repeat 3 times
- Week 5: Run 8 minutes, walk 2 minutes. Repeat 3 times
- Week 6: Run 9 minutes, walk 2 minutes. Repeat 2 times then run 8 minutes 1 time
- Week 7: Run 9 minutes, walk 1 minutes. Repeat 3 times
- Week 8: Run 13 minutes, walk 2 minutes. Repeat 2 times
- Week 9: Run 14 minutes, walk 1 minutes. Repeat 2 times
- Week 10: Run 30 minutes. Repeat once and celebrate!